Friday, April 4, 2014

Week 1

Monday March 24 - Sunday March 30, 2014

Places visited:

  • La Fogata
  • La Cantera (Nordstrom Bistro and Barnes & Noble)
  • Fujiya Japanese Garden Sushi
  • Barbaro
  • St. George's Catholic Church

Here's the breakdown:

So when we moved here on Sunday, I knew I had to have my parents (living in an RV near Lake Travis) come down to see their grandson (TOP priority) and our new place. They came down and my dad recommended La Fogata for lunch. I say "wonderful! I've never been there!" Well. It turns out I'm just a ding-dong and forgot I was there just a couple of months ago celebrating with family after a memorial service for great Aunt M. Ridiculous memory I have. So we go there anyway and enjoy a lunch - thanks again for lunch Mom & Dad.

La Fogata is well-known, from what I can tell. I enjoyed the green enchiladas, though next time I will likely ask for sauce on the side. I'm SURE that's unheard of... but I am just not a saucy-enchilada gal. Unfortunately, my baby didn't enjoy it as much because he must have accidentally gotten something spicy in his bits of rice because he started clawing at his face/mouth. Sorry JC!!! Overall, I feel like it's a cool place to come back to grab a margarita on their adorable patio. It's larger than it seems but still has a family feel. 

Later in the week, my friend and I met up at La Cantera for lunch at Nordstrom Bistro and a walk with the kiddos. I've been to La Cantera before, and I have eaten at the Bistro in Austin. It was a lovely day to enjoy a visit. I had a tasty salad and JC ate some grilled cheese. Super kid-friendly staff. Then we walked to the Barnes and Noble to "play" at the Lego table and pick up toys off the floor and put them back on the shelves. My apologies to staff if I missed an aisle or two. This kid of mine is FAST. 

Friday night was date night. Only 5 days into living in San Antonio and we had to STOP UNPACKING and get OUT. :) J and I went to a local sushi restaurant called Fujiya Japanese Garden. I loved it. I was starving so anything was good, but the ambience here was so charming and close-knit. I people-watched like it was my day job (kind of is, right?! little kids are people!), and I decided I'd like to be friends with these people who work here and eat here. Good stuff. Of course, my Mai Tai helped me to feel a bit more relaxed than I was actually feeling with the stressful few days we'd had. Husband and I enjoyed several delicious rolls, miso soups, and a yummy cheesecake egg roll dessert. Definitely will be returning and recommending. 

Now the next night, I went out with some girlfriends to Barbaro... two nights in a row?! Unheard of since before I was pregnant. HIGHLY unusual! My first real challenge was getting there - newbie driving a ways at night, watch out! But once we arrived, I felt like I walked into a place that reminded me of somewhere else. European cafe, a Richmond bar carved into an old building, a lounge from Austin. It just had a certain vibe. TASTY pizza was shared, and I tried one of their local craft beers. A good Saturday night spot!

Lastly, after church on Sunday, we went down the road to St. George's Maronite Catholic Church for their monthly Lebanese luncheon. J is part Lebanese, and we all LOVE the food, even baby JC who happily scarfed down hummus, kibbe, and parts of the falafel wrap. The menu changes monthly, so make sure to check their website before venturing over. $10 gets you an adult plate + drink and $5 gets you a kid's plate. I say worth it and worthy cause. 

Weekly TOTAL:
5 places this week out of 3 - hit my goal!
2 new places this week out of 65 (for the year)

Onward!

~ S

*Don't forget to follow us pictorially on Instagram @sathreesixtyfive*

No comments:

Post a Comment